The Bella pattern is designed to be ultra low rise, so I decided to adapt the pattern to lift the waist band a little. There may well be a different correct way of altering the pattern, but this is the way I altered it to get a little more coverage, without changing the size of the waist band or the cut round the legs and crotch as I was happy with that. Here is the shape of the original pattern piece, with the waist band drawn on in red.
I lifted that line up without changing it’s shape by a couple of cm.
Next I looked at each end of that new line, it needs to meet the front and back seam at right angles so that the waist band lies flat.
And then using a french curve at the back, and a ruler at the front I drew in new front and back seams.
Then I sewed them up as before, and here are my finished knickers.
Here you can see the difference in size between my new and original pattern. The lace on the red pattern is a little softer and stretchier which is why they look a bit wider, but the waist is notably higher.
Also after my first pair I switched from a regular zigzag (in green) to a 3 step zigzag (in purple), in my opinion the 3 step looked much nicer and I have used that since.
I love this big bow included in the kit.
I’m really happy with how the adapted pattern fit and feel, definitely a wardrobe staple and I have several other pairs in the pipeline. The only disadvantage is that I do need slightly wider lace to make the knickers from, alas, I will have to go lace shopping 🙂