Here are 5 tips that I wish I’d known when I started sewing lingerie.
1. Cut the elastic an inch longer than needed so you have some to hold onto.
2. Fabric pulled into the bobbin hole? You can start in the middle and sew to one end, then start back in the middle and sew to the other end
3. Fabric still pulled into the bobbin hole? Use a little piece of fabric between each thing you sew so you don’t have long threads. Everytime you finish a seam run straight onto this scrap. Then sew straight from the scrap straight onto the next piece.
4. Skipped stitches? Use good quality thread and the right needle. Bessie (my sewing machine) won’t sew elastic without Gutterman thread with a stretch needle.
5. USA and UK bra sizes are not the same, Cloth habit has a useful conversion chart you can check out here.